Thursday, June 24, 2010

Price Matching Promise FAIL?

Something Wal-Mart touts well is their price matching promise. However, I am not sure they uphold this practice as faithfully as they advertise. I hadn’t shopped at Wal-Mart consistently until moving to a rural area in southwestern Indiana. The town boasted not just a Wal-Mart mind you, but a super Wal-Mart. Pretty big bragging rights when most neighboring towns could only support a handful of local businesses. The town we lived in also had a family owned grocery store similar to (for you Indy folks) a Mr. D’s or O’Malia’s. Translation: a very nice store, pricey enough to warrant driving the extra mile (for us) and waging battle with the blue crew. Besides, if the family owned store weekly ad touted an especially good deal, Wal-Mart would match their price. Right?

It was a holiday weekend BC (before children). So admittedly, this did happen several years ago. The hubby and I stopped at the land of the blue to pick up pop and chips on our way to a family gathering. Kroger, I believe, had at the time a spectacular price on the pop. Always excited to get a good deal and save a dollar, I was excited. Cart loaded down with enough junk food to feed the masses at the family picnic, I approached the checkout quite excited to score the awesome deal on the pop. We loaded the provisions onto the belt, waited our turn (is it just me or do the lines go slower there?) and I asked the cashier for the price match, boldly offering the competitor’s ad for the needed proof. The cashier proceeded to ask me for a “Preferred Shopping Card”. What? Wal-Mart to my knowledge (and sometimes dismay) did not participate in a “Preferred Shopping Card” program. The cashier stated I needed to provide the “Preferred Shopping Card” for the competitor that was advertising the great deal. WHAT? This made no sense to me. Wal-Mart would not be scanning the card. Why could they possibly need the card? Alas, while my logic was clearly sound, I was overruled. And annoyed. And angry. This was insane! Thus, we left the full shopping cart at the checkout, unpaid. Reasoning, we could easily swing by that competitor at some point during our travels.

I was not the only local citizen frustrated with the implementation of the price matching policy in our local store. Some people suspected they pulled certain items off their shelves once the ads came out, to avoid ‘losing” money. There were certainly times the items could mysteriously not be found. Also, it seemed certain cashiers were more stringent (insane), while others were more accommodating. One in particular, was happy to give you hints about any items you might have missed asking for the price match on. Overall though, I have to admit, they did wear me down. I can argue with the best of them. But I am no match for insane logic. I rarely asked for the price match. Who wants to beat their head against the wall repeatedly? And the definition of insanity is….

In the spirit of full disclosure, I will note that at (a different) Wal-Mart, the day after Thanksgiving 2009, I did request a price match on some toys. I fully expected a “no”, but couldn’t resist asking when the savings was $10+ and meant I wouldn’t have to travel across town for the item. I was pleasantly surprised when the cashier allowed it and completed the transaction.

In the spirit of truth and empowerment, the official price match policy, from the Wal-Mart website is below, with the corresponding link.

Shop fearlessly, friends.

http://walmartstores.com/7659.aspx

Price matching

Our goal is always to be the low price leader in every community where we operate. Our customers trust us to have every day low prices ... there's no need for "special sales."

Our unbeatable promise:

Store managers make the final decision in always taking care of our customers, but we do have guidelines for matching our competition.

We do honor "Preferred Shopping Card" advertised prices. Must be like items, be advertised and require a competitor's shopping card, for the discount to apply.

We do not honor advertisements that require a purchase in order to receive the advertised price or free product. We do not honor "Buy One / Get One Free" advertisements.

We do not honor double or triple coupons or percent off advertisements.

We do not honor other retailers' "Misprinted" advertised prices.

We do not honor Internet Pricing.

We do not honor competitor advertisements from outside of the store's or Club's local trade territory

No comments:

Post a Comment